Friday, September 02, 2005

 

Let It Go, Lousiana

With my summer vacation over and my internet access restored, I will now resume my incessant commentary on all of the things going on around me. First things first, let New Orleans be a lake. I think we all at some level see the writing on the wall here. It's below sea level, it's below several rivers and it's full of water. Now I have never claimed to be an expert in any field even remotely related to math or science, but from what I see, I'd say nature wants a lake there really bad. It would at least give us a good excuse to build more oil refineries, perhaps in a less accident prone area. In hindsight (and foresight) New Orleans was pretty much the stupidest place to position 1/3 of our oil refining capabilities. Let's double the amount of refineries we once had, spread them out across the United States, and go back to paying $1.63 per gallon to fill up our ski boat and cruise around in the beautiful Lake New Orleans. The first wakeboarder to grind the Superdome wins a nobel peace prize. Who's in? The National Guard just made it in to the city and are distributing supplies and assisting in the rescue effort. They were received by cheers, but of course there were some disgruntled citizens. Concerned citizen Michael Levy:

"Hell no, I'm not glad to see them. They should have been here days ago. I ain't glad to see 'em, I'll be glad when 100 buses show up,"

Apparently Mr. Levy wanted to see the National Guard earlier this week, and is not glad to see that they have finally arrived. I'm guessing Mr. Levy holds the opinion that if John Kerry was President, he would have an easier time organizing and equipping thousands of National Guardsmen for the purpose of saving Mr. Levy from his ordeal. This is a very hard situation and I can understand Mr. Levy's pain and anguish, and we do agree on one thing:

"I say burn this whole ... city down."

I am sure it would be difficult to burn down a city that is underwater, and I'm not sure it would be worth it to pump out the lake to destroy the former city, but the sentiment remains the same. Trying to live in Lake New Orleans is dangerous and stupid.

UPDATE: Apparently I'm not the only one saying this. Speaker Hastert also made a similar assertion and was flamed by the Governor of Louisiana who apparently has nothing better to do right now than take offense to the truth. Hastert said rebuilding New Orleans doesn't make any sense, and governor Kathleen Blanco accused him of kicking the city while it was down and demanded an apology. Hastert is simply acknowledging the elephant in the room, and he shouldn't be forced to apologize. Just look at the hell-hole New Orleans has become, why would you ever want to try an rebuild there. Let's learn our lesson from all of this. If you try to resist mother nature, eventually you will lose. The longer you prolong your surrender, the worse it's going be when she eventually gets her way. Yet we still continue to build homes on unstable hillsides, and we will still try and live in New Orleans.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home